Monday, June 08, 2009

Orientation Week One

I have been in Windhoek for the past week going through an amazing orientation with all of the other volunteers. There were 21 summer volunteers in my group, and this morning they all packed into small VW buses and headed off to their different locations to teach teachers about computers for the summer. Most of them will be in the south of Namibia, where there is lots of desert. They are an amazing group of volunteers, most of them are college kids, however I have been blown away by their maturity and will miss them greatly. Hopefully I will be seeing them again at the semester midservice on August 6-8 (my birthday...hint hint).

This past week has been wonderful. It's completely different from my trip to South Africa, and though I find myself missing surfer's corner a lot, I am extremely grateful for the difference. All of the volunteers are taking their time in Namibia very seriously and treating the experience as a job. Also we are unable to leave our hostel after sunset, because Windhoek can be dangerous. This forces us all to do a lot of bonding, reflecting, reading, and causes early bed times. I would go over all the details of the past week, but that would take forever so I think I will go over the highlights.

We arrived at Backpackers Unite on Sunday afternoon after so much traveling. I was a little in shock, and also somewhat freaked out. What the hell was I getting myself into? This country is beautiful but also full of sand and not that many people. I have ELECTED to go off to a village and teach math...all I could think was that I must be a little crazy. Over the next few days we learned a lot about the Namibian culture, and we got to explore the capital city. It was great. I started to make new friends and bond with the people who will be around me in Sitipogo (prounounced "Sti-po-go".

Tuesday night some locals came over to the hospital and we sat around talking politics, religion, and all everything else you talk about with complete strangers. It was a wonderful night, however whenever I mentioned I was heading out to Sitipogo they laughed hysterically. No one has ever heard of my villiage, and I have a feeling I will be in the middle of no where. Luckily another volunteer, Mita (from Amherst, Ohio) will only be 2K away, and she has internet AND a washing machine.

Wednesday we explored more, and went to an HIV/AIDS clinic, which was very interesting. That night we went to a traditional Herero dinner where we dined on Goat head and sour milk. I tried intestine, and a few of my braver friends ate the goat's eyeball. What a trip! I have pictures, and hopefully I can post them soon. The dinner ended with a minor dance party and lots of fun amongst all the volunteers. It was the first night we started to let loose a little bit. We can only do so much learning.

Later in the week we had a traditional African dance group come and perform. I forget the name of the tribe, but they were INCREDIBLE! During their 5 minute break a bunch of us were talking about how we almost broke into tears during the first dance. It was as if it was finally hitting all of us. That we were really here, and that we were really about to teach in Namibia. Most of us have been looking forward to this trip for months, and it is amazing to think that we are finally here.

Saturday was a large tour of Windhoek where we got to see some of the ritzy neighborhoods and then traveled to the informal settlements. The differences in living situations was astounding. However, after seeing some of the townships in Capetown, I don't think I was as shocked as the other volunteers. We did get to go to the market which was a blast! We ate delicious fat cakes (think balls of fried dough) and saw some of the freshest beef i have ever seen. The butchers were cutting the beef right before our eyes. I actually have some pictures of the cows' heads...intense. Unfortunately we were being followed so we had to make it back to the backpackers early, don't worry everyone was safe we just had to adjust our plans.

That night we had a Braai. It was like being back in South Africa. I had a Boerwoes with Chutney, and I was one happy camper. After eating we had a little concert. Joci's (our volunteer coordinator) boyfriend is a Namibian Rapper named Black Door, and he, along with his friends, performed at the hostel. It was a HOOT! We ended up having a dance off and I totally one. In truth the boys were much better, but I'll take my win where I can get it.

Yesterday was very chill. All the summer volunteers were getting ready to leave which meant I had lots of time to walk around town and relax. It was hard to say good-bye to the summers. I met some really incredible people in that group, but I will see them soon and there is always SMS or text.

I also spent a good amount of time this week learning Rukwangali, the language of the Kavango region, where I will be placed. Most people speak English there, but everyone loves it when you attempt to speak the language. Three of us are in the same area and had a tutor named Christine. She is ADORABLE. She is from Rundu and is now studying biology at the University of Namibia. Hopefully I will retain some thing that she taught us. Edina lynage Rache. Edina lyoge nyove yiolye? (My name is Rachel. What is your name?)

This next week should be really wonderful. Hopefully I'll learn more about how to teach math and bond more with my semester volunteers.

Two final notes. One: Send emails about what's going on in the states. You might find it boring but I find it exciting. Two: I have a new cell number. CALL ME! There is a five hour difference but my number is 011-264-81-451-5183.

ngatu limona (see you later)

2 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Q. said...

So jealous, kiddo. We've been hanging out at the beach and on the harbor. Wish you were there with us.

Sounds like you've had an amazing adventure already just in your first week. I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about it. I'll be reading as you post!

Miss ya. NQB

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey little sis! Sounds like you are having an AMAZING time! Love the updates and look forward to reading more as you settle in.

All's well here in Vermont. Cold and rainy today but Tanya, Eli and my mom are arriving tonight, so I am running around getting everything ready.

I'll send a note via email soon, as I'm sure all your other readers aren't quite as interested in our family updates!

Adam, Auggie, Matthew and I all send our love!

xo Rebecca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home