Monday, June 15, 2009

Above the red line

So I am out of Windhoek now, and in Rundu for the long weekend. I got to my sight on Friday afternoon after a 8 hour drive to Rundu on Thursday. The drive was amazing. We saw springboks, wild boar, zebras, antelopes, and giraffes hanging out on the side of the road. Mr. Moranga, our driver, was amazing and pulled over whenever there was a cool animal. It was like our own private safari, except we were driving down Namibia's version of I-71 or I-95. INTENSE, and beatuiful. I realized I should clarify. My car was Jen who is going to Divundu, two hours east of Rundu, Megan in Rundu, Mita, who is 2K from myself, and me who is two hours east of Rundu.

About six hours into our drive we passed "The Red Line" a line in Namibia that differnciates between the two agriculture laws. Above the red line cattle have no restrictions, and let me tell you how quickly life changed after the red line. All of a sudden there were cows EVERYWHERE. Crossing the road, walking in the median of the high way, it was hilarious. There were also tons of more people. Women were walking down the roads with large bags of maize on their heads, and I felt like I was suddenly in National Geographic. This was both exhilirating and terrifying.

The history of Namibia is that when Namibia was part of South Africa, many of the indigeounous tribes were pushed up and out of the central region, making the north a very poor but highly populated area in which I will be spending the next 5 and half months. I'm not sure on all the details of the Namibian history, so please don't hold me to anything.

We finally arrived in Rundu too late to grab a ride to our sites so we, mita and I, stayed at a VSO's house in Rundu. It was extremely stressful, however after a good meal we all started to chill out a little bit.

Early Friday morning Mita grabbed a ride with Mr. Moranga to Nankudu and Sitipogo. We were on a paved road for about 45 minutes and then it turned to dirt. A dusty huge dirt road that we drove on for about an hour. We passed tons of mud huts and drove along the kavango river. Occasionally we we would pass a small store or a shebeen (bar), but it became very clear that the small town of Rundu was our "big city". We finally dropped off Mita at her school and then drove the short distance to my school.

Sitipogo is not a town or a village. It is a school with a few mud huts around it and one small concrete house with three rooms. This is my house. I am sharing it with a fellow teacher, a young man who teaches primary school. I only met the other teachers breifly, because of a long weekend, but they all seemed so nice, and very happy to meet me. When I walked into my house I was in for a huge shock. Everyone was so proud to show me the house, however there was no running water, fridge, and my room was completely barren. I tried to keep myself together while another teacher Peter took me on a lovely tour of the school, but eventually I needed some alone time.

After a minor freak out to my field director and a much appreciated visit from Mita, I decided to take a few of my things and head to mita's for the weekend where I would have a bed, a fridge, stove, and running water. Everything was much better once I got a good home cooked meal in my stomach, and we discussed how hard core both Mita and I are.

The rest of the weekend has been actually quite lovely. Mita and I spent Saturday unpacking, cleaning, and indulging in a girly movie, and yesterday we took our first hike to Rundu. I spent the day hanging out with other volunteers, and now I am about to head back to Nankudu/Sitipogo for the week.

There are many times over the past few days that have felt completely surreal. I am often in shock that I am actually in Namibia, and how different it is from America. I have started to get used to my feet being covered with dirt, and the complete darkness that occurs at 6pm. I have realized a lot about what we take for granted everyday, and I am sure that will only increase as my time passes. I am very excited for my first day of teaching on Wednesday...wish me luck!

9 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Dad said...

Hey Rache-
What a great blog. Makes me feel I am right with you, climbing out the vehicle to see the giraffes, walking along the dirt road, and smelling the fishy concrete building. So glad Mita is there as a friend. Excited to see how your first day of teaching goes. Is the school building OK? Do you have any materials? Where do the kids come from? Full of questions, but first hope that you are OK with the culture shock.
love Dad

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Joanne Lindy said...

Hi Rach - Wonderful description of your experiences! I feel I'm with you in spirit...I spilled some fish in the fridge last week...Wow did it smell.. I spent Sunday cleaning out the fridge not realizing how I had indentified with your experience! Fish smell is still here so I really sympathize. Hope this first week at school goes really well. What do the children call you? Can't wait to hear more of your experiences. Lots of Love, Mom

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great post Rachel! Namibia sounds unbelievable... keep the stories coming!

Tanya, Eli and my mom are still here in Vermont and we are having a great time. Actually, Eli is having so much fun that he is going to stay on for the foreseeable future. 'Cousin Camp' at the Coll house!!

Today Adam, Auggie and Eli decided we were lame parents for not having a basketball hoop outside, so they hauled an old birch tree out from the woods behind the house and built their own. It's awesome! And only one injury with a saw (Eli :-).

We'll keep our stories coming. Can't wait for more from you!
xoxox
Rebecca

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

From Adam:
Rachel your awesome!
Can I come visit you and your friend with the fridge?
I am so jealous, can I be you when I grow up?
Good Luck!
-Adam

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

From Eli --

hey it's sounds great over in nambibia (i hope that's how you spell it haha). Vermont is great and i might be staying here for the whole summer because my mom and momi are leaving me with no return flight.
stay updated and it's great to hear from you. (good luck on getting a bed for your barren room)=)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

BTW, not sure why my comment above said I was my mother... Oh dear, what does the computer know that I don't!
Rebecca

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

straight to the important stuff... DO YOU HAVE A BED YET????????????? I cannot wait to hear about your students and your total immersion into the role of teacher- great big bear hugs- T.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger TapirBoy1 said...

Look out for all them cattle! Glad everything is going well so far.

I'm not sure I'd have the courage to eat a goat's eye ball.

Madorsky

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Rachel,
WOW! What an amazing experience.
Thanks for sharing so descriptively on your blog. You are brave and adventuresome. I look forward to hearing about your teaching, the kids, etc. etc.
i noticed that care packages are welcome. what kinds of things would you like?
love, Penny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home