Monday, November 23, 2009

Starting to Wrap Up

This weekend was the start of my farewells with a goodbye party in mini town and thanksgiving in Rundu. All around it was a very somber weekend. I said goodbye to Jen Sunday morning who is heading to Malawi via Zimbabwe on Friday. It's very safe to say that I am fully in denial. Though I am so excited to see my parents and travel for a while in Africa, I will miss this place so much. There are certain things I have become so accustomed to and so many people who I am used to hearing from everyday, and now they'll be gone. I know I will need to SMS Jen the second I land in the States, because I have no idea how to communicate any other way. The idea of actually talking to someone is beyond me. The silver lining, however, is that there are a few people I don't have to say goodbye to. Mita and I will be traveling around Namibia together for a week in December, and then we have the entire Cincinnati gang. It makes the idea of going home much easier.

Thanksgiving in Rundu was deicious. It is very odd though to think of it as holiday season. It's wicked hot here, and I got pretty burned in my open bakki yesterday, so the idea that Black Friday is coming up at the end of the week is beyond me. It was so surreal to have huge turkey and stuffing when I was lounging in shorts and a tank top.

I'm finding the blog post really difficult to write, probably because it's so hard for me to really comprehend that I'm leaving. We've all been living each day from day to day maybe week to week, and, though I have a few more months before I finally get back to 3050, I am starting to thing of a world outside of Kavango and Namibia. This is going to be a really overwhelming and difficult few days, but one things' for sure. I will miss life on the dirt road.

1 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger aunt mary said...

Hi Rachel,
HAPPY THANSGIVING TO YOU!!
As a member of your Cincinnati family I can't wait to have you back in the States. Though I know you're doing some traveling Stateside when you return, I hope you can slip in a visit to Cincinnati so you old Aunt mary can see your wonderful, smiling self.
Travel safe.
Love,
Aunt Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home