Friday, October 16, 2009

Everything's Better That Side

So way back at the end of August and beginning of September I went on that trip to Zimbabwe and Botswana (remember?). Well the trip was such a great way to relax and bond with Mita and Jen. The highlights in Zim were the falls, of course, and the Spanish tour guides.

On our second to last night at our rest camp I was in the restaurant having a beer and reading The Book Thief (which constantly reminded me of Syd!!) when a group of Spanish tour guides decided to sit with me. They were a HOOT!!! So much fun. I instantly stopped reading when they made me sing happy birthday and insisted that I join in all of their various other songs. My favorite: Mae is in love she’s always on the phone (I still get that damn tune stuck in my head every now and then). Eventually Mita and Jen made their way over to our table and we all had a grand evening. They were all celebrating being done with their overland tours and having a few days for holiday and were staying at the same rest camp as us. We ended up hanging out during the rest of our trip in Zim. I had so much fun with them and hopefully we’ll meet up again before I leave the continent.

I know all you care about is my social life in Namibia, so I shouldn’t even bother with talking about the falls…just kidding. Vic falls are INCREDIBLE, and if anyone ever makes it over to Africa to see them; you really must go to the Zim side. Zambia is just nothing in comparison. It was the dry season during my visit, so the falls weren’t as massive as they get during November-January, but still…WOW! We could hear the falls all the way from our rest camp, but it wasn’t until we actually made it into the park that we could begin to see their beauty. Actually you felt the falls way before you saw them. The mist from the falls hit Jen Mita and I as we entered the park and made our way to what they call cataract peak, but we finally saw it, and I was speechless. There is no way I can possibly describe it; so I guess you’ll have to wait for the photos…sorry!

On to Botswana!! We got a hike out of Zim at 5am for another exciting day of traveling. The hike to the boarder was so amazing. There we were in a small sedan driving through Zim, still pitch black because it was too early, and what do we see but a baby elephant!!! That’s not all a few kilometers later we saw….wait for it…a LION!!! Proof that the best trips aren’t huge safaris or planned extravaganzas, but random hikes you take with your friends. Once we crossed the boarder we needed to get a hike to Maun which wasn’t an easy thing, but luckily we got a free hike with a very nice South African and were on our way to the Okavango Delta.

We didn’t stay long in Maun, just enough time to get some good food and book our Makoro tour. Makoros are the hallowed tree canoes that are used to traverse the delta. Jen and I decided we wanted to do a three day two night trip and Mita would come along for one night. Our guides for the trip were Bess (a dude) and Saul. They took us along with our cook, Steven, through the delta and to our camp which felt miles away from civilization, even though the closest other campers where a few meters away.

Over the next two days we went on various game walks taking in the beautiful sunrises, sunsets and walking amongst the wildbeasts, zebras, giraffes, and elephants. It was so different than any other “safari” like trip I hade been on. We didn’t get to see the animals extremely close up, but as if we were walking with them; we were sharing the same environment, rather then encroaching upon their territory. I felt very lucky. The Okavango Delta is starting to turn into more of a tourist hot bed, which is great for the economy of Botswana, but I fear the serenity I felt while walking with the animals might not be there for too long. Which means you need to go there NOW!

So that was my trip. Once we finished the Mokoro trip; Jen and I hike backed to Jen’s place in Divundu and then I went back to Sitopogo the next day. I was sad to say good-bye to my holiday, but all that sadness and stress left when I pulled into my little concrete house. There is something so special about being in the middle of no where. I know I will never have an experience like this again (at least that’s what I tell myself when I’m homesick or seriously missing It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.). I know there’s a lot more to catch up on but that will have to do for now. Till next time. Ame Nakumesah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home