Things to come!
I know it's been a while. I finally got some internet access today while staying in Rundu. I'm visiting Megan for one of her final weekends and spending some time tomorrow taking care of things at the ministry. Hopefully I will be able to have more consistent internet starting next week. Wish Me luck!!
Well Namibia has been pretty great. I have a huge post on my thumb drive that I will put up soon, but at least I can go through some of the highlights. Teaching changes every day. I love working with my learners and seeing them around the village and Town, but lesson planning takes a lot of time, especially with very few resources, and marking is the bain of my existence. It's hard to have your first teaching experience in a small rural school in which english is the second or third language. There is not that much support, but I try to get through. My colleagues are still great. I've started playing net ball with some of my learners on Mondays and Wednesdays. I've also started to cook more. I have learned to make a mean pizza sauce, and I'm currently working on a marshmallow pie. I live a very exciting life.
I do have one bit of news. I think I'm going to try to do a fund raiser for my school in Namibia. I'm not sure on the details yet but I will keep everyone posted. I'm going to try to raise some funds and run some kilometers all at the same time. Hopefully my experience in development will pay off (nice pun, right?). Ok I can't write too long, but I will be posting more soon with more updates. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing well. I miss home a lot, but Namibia is truly special.
Much love.

4 Comments:
pie? did i hear pie?
Great to hear from you Rachel! I have a million pearls of wisdom regarding teaching...HA! I think your ability to reflect upon the nature of your first teaching experience is the best guidance you will find. Lesson planning can be (and often is)trial and error- Just keep looking for what works- I know that I still am! Miss you- xoxo Tanya
Hi Rachel,
Mom and I are with the Grace gang, taking time out from Red Pine to visit Mackinac Island. There is an internet cafe near the boat dock and bike rental. Maybe a few of the Graces will share a few words
Hi Sweetie it's Mom, Everyone is still shopping so I get a chance to say hi! Dad and I are remembering being here with you and Ben and we just completed a bike ride around the island. The weather's great...at least today! It feels quite different now that all the nieces and nephews are all young adults...Caroline, Megan and Thatcher keep us in little kid antics. We can't wait to see some pictures and are really wondering what your scenery looks like. I was thinking of sending postcards from the States but all the post cards make everything look so beautiful and rich that I wasn't sure what that would feel like to your students. All here have been so impressed with our stories of your experiences and so taken with your courage!! We love you lots, Mom
Hey Rachel, its Aunt Nancy- I can't give you many tips on the teaching of geometry although I remember that using the tools to draw, plot different plans for houses, etc. was pretty interesting. I am sure that you have a very different scenario to handle but I guess the best I can offer you, from a teacher's point of view, is make it as relevant as possible. I think what you are doing sounds exciting and adventurous and will add to your appreciation of so many things your whole life. Good luck,we all love you and can't wait to hear and see pictures. Aunt Chris is with me and she says to say hello as well. We are doing our Macinaw Island experience today and the weather is beautiful. Take care - Aunt Nancy
Post a Comment
<< Home