Sitopogo...In My Pocket!
Note to readers: I wrote this blog entry about three weeks ago. Please keep that in mind as you read. I finally have steady internet, and I will try to resume my once a week postings.
So I know it’s been a long time since I’ve updated the blog, and for that I apologize. Life has been busy, and with limited internet access I haven’t been online in over two weeks. It’s actually quite nice. I’m sad about not being able to be in contact with everyone in the states, however, on the plus side, no internet access allows me to really focus on Sitopogo and create a life for myself in the village.
I finally moved into my house almost two weeks ago. The house is much better than when I first got in. We gathered all my furniture including a full sized bed, fridge, and stove, and Mr. Julius (the primary school Head of Department at Sitopogo) helped me move them into the house. Though it’s a small house I’m a little in love with it. We have hot water which makes it feel like the Ritz, and since it’s the only concrete house in my village, it becomes quite the social hang out. Teachers come over every day to shave, shower, and cook.
Cooking here is quite different than in the States, and I have had so many conversations with both teachers and other volunteers about it. I was thinking of having an entire blog entry just about the mentality behind eating in Namibia, but it seems quite fitting to discuss it now. Everyone here eats meat and porridge every day. Well sometimes they switch it up and make meat and macaroni or meat and potatoes, but it’s pretty much the same every day. They eat one big meal a day for lunch and eat white bread and butter for breakfast and dinner.
This is quite different from the life of the volunteer. We talk about food all the time. What are we going to eat for dinner? What recipes are we excited to try out, or what are we going to eat when we get back to the states. It often feels as though our lives revolve around food. I don’t feel as though I’m talking about food any more or less than I would in the states, but it just makes me think about what a huge role food plays in our culture. Also here, not everyone can afford enough food. Food is a necessity and not a luxury. Despite this differing attitude, I have found myself becoming quite the Betty Crocker. I’ve made pizza (from scratch) twice, and last night I even attempted cinnamon sugar bread sticks. They were quite tasty if you ask me. I’ll let you know if I come up with anything really good.
Now onto teaching, it’s tough. Not only do I have to deal with teaching a subject I haven’t studied in 5 years, but none of my learners know English that well. So I am facing all of the normal first time teaching problems a long with some major language issues. We had our first Learner/Teacher meeting Friday during which I was told that I am simultaneously going too slow and too quickly. It’s difficult. I have to try to slow down my speech a lot (which will be a huge challenge) and give tons of examples. The learners here aren’t really taught to comprehend anything. They can recite the formula for the Area of a circle but they have no idea what “radius” means. They have only been taught what to do and not why they do it, which makes teaching high school math extremely difficult. At first I was really upset that I wasn’t doing the best job, but then I realized that all I can do is my best. My first attempt didn’t work so I’ll try again. All I can do is give my best. I’m only here for 6 months, and maybe teaching isn’t the career for me. That’s ok; I never really thought it was. I was not the biggest fan of high school, and I am very ok with not returning to it. I just hope I don’t let these kids down too much. My goal for Namibia is to not beat myself up about trying my hardest and not succeeding. If I can do that, I think I’ll be a more successful teacher and enjoy my time more, plus it would be a great skill to take back to the states.
So teaching has been kind of a roller coaster. I would never call it horrible, but at the same time I would not say I love it. I am content. My colleagues are really nice, and having Mita around is wonderful. We vent a lot and talk strategy constantly.
Life outside of teaching has been great. I went into Rundu last weekend for the fourth of July and met a bunch of other volunteers. Megan and I walked into OK Foods on Saturday morning and nearly flipped out because there were something like 9 white kids hanging around. It was overwhelming to say the least. But we met them all again and it was wonderful. The nati was totally representing with 3 volunteers from my home town. It was incredible. I’m surprised we didn’t all shout who-dey. We actually all live within 100K from each other. Who Kavango would become the hot spot for natians?
Last weekend was my colleague and office mate’s birthday. It was a nice weekend in the village. Mita and celebrated with John on Friday night and cooked pizza on Saturday. In general life is very quiet out here. Nothing too exciting to report. Sorry it’s been so long. I’ll try to post more often…till next time!

1 Comments:
You gotta pass on your pizza recipe. I'm dying to try it!
Post a Comment
<< Home