Friday, December 11, 2009

Contrasting Landscapes and Farewells

So I'm sitting in the exact same internet cafe I wrote my first blog entries back in the beginning of June, except now I will be boarding a bus in 5 hours to head off to South Africa rather than grabing a ride in a truck to head up to Kavango. I am still safely in denial that I will not return to Kavango, but that doesn't change how amazing the past few months and past week have been.

I was really going to try to post one more time before I left the village, but everything was too overwhelming and I couldn't put all my thoughts into words, but I'll try now. I had a farewell party which was amazing! We slaughtered a goat and the teachers spent all day preparing. It was at the school which meant all my learners joined in for the festivities which included a full program dinner, drinks, and of course lots of dancing.

The program was very touching. My teachers sang songs and gave speeches. They told me I was magical and official a white African. It was, I think, my favorite night in the village. Hanging out with my teachers was a hoot. I got to wear my gorgeous meme dress (you'll see it in the states) and have a proper dance party. I love my colleagues so much and I already miss them so much.

After the party my last two days in the village were quite difficult. It felt like a very prolonged good-bye which are not my favorite things in the world, but Mita and I left on Friday morning with our favorite driver Manfried (a nephew of our friend Andreas) down to Windhoek. I feel as though I should note that this trip was completely on a tar road which was awesome!

Once we got to Windhoek our vacation finally began. There was a farewell party for our deputy director and we hit the road. First night was Sousesvlei, the dunes in the south. OH MAN can you say beautiful. The drive, though on a gravel road, was the most beautiful drive I have ever seen. The south is so desolate and dry compared to the green of the north. It really felt like another country. We camped in Soussesvlei one night then climbed the dunes and headed out to Swakupmound.

Swakup is a cozy beach town right next to dunes. It's very surreal looking out of the city and seeing these huge dunes right next to the ocean. It was a great place for Mita and I to relax take a break from driving and eat. We did go sand boarding, but mostly we just hung out on the beach, and then we had to get back to Windhoek.

Now I'm back in Windhoek. I just said good-bye to Mita and I am boarding the intercape sleepliner in 5 hours. Weird. I can't wait to see my parents! I'll try to keep posting while I'm traveling around Africa but it might be a little difficult. Thanks to everyone for reading the blog. Mbaazeni

2 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Say hi to the parentals for me, Rach. I've been thinking about you a lot these past few days. Can't wait until you're back home!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, I'm happy to hear Africa has been such a wonderful experience for you. What I am sure of is you left it better than you found it. Enjoy your time with your family. Hope to see you soon at Family Independence. All the Best. Melanie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home